Dentist Capitol Hill DC: Whole Body Approach to Gum Disease
Did you know that your gums are a reliable reflection of your overall health? They suffer from any nutritional deficiencies in your diet. Your good hygiene habits are simply not enough to maintain oral health. Regular brushing and flossing, in combination with routine professional cleanings, are of utmost importance, but the health of your teeth and gums involves much more.
From his Capitol Hill DC family dental care practice, Dr. Nishan Halim recommends a whole body approach to fighting periodontal disease.
Healthy Lifestyle = Healthy Gums
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is key to allowing your bodily systems to thrive. When everything is functioning as it should, your natural defenses against all forms of illness and inflammation are substantially strengthened. Healthy gum tissue is less likely to allow penetration of gingivitis-causing bacteria. Adhering to a well-balanced diet is one of the best things you can do to help ensure exceptional oral health.
The Well-Balanced Diet
Consuming a well-balanced diet in conjunction with good hygiene habits is the best choice when it comes to natural treatment for periodontal disease. A well-balanced diet equips your body with the tools that it needs to effectively fight against infection and inflammation throughout the body, including in your mouth.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that assists in repairing connective tissue and regenerating bone—both of which are important to gum health. A deficiency of vitamin C is sometimes linked to the development of periodontal disease.
- Vitamin D is another nutrient that is crucial to good oral health because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- The antioxidant coenzyme Q10 is another beneficial nutrient to have in your diet, and it is primarily found in fish, meat, and in the germs of whole grains.
It is clear that a diet rich in antioxidants is beneficial for a healthy mouth, but it is also important to make sure to get plenty of whole grains and calcium.
- Whole-grain foods are believed to play a role in the prevention of periodontal disease by reducing the overall amount of bodily inflammation.
- Calcium is critical in strengthening bone mass below the gum line and reducing the amount of decay caused by bacteria. Conversely, inadequate levels of dietary calcium cause periodontal disease to worsen.
Natural Products for Oral Care
All-natural oral care products like those made by Dental Herb Company are another important tool in the fight against periodontal disease. Dental Herb Company’s Tooth & Gums System is made from the highest quality essential oils and herbal extracts, and is proven to be effective in maintaining optimal oral health. Integrate these natural oral care products into your healthier lifestyle and see what a difference choosing the natural path can make.
Do you have concerns about your oral health? I would love to talk with you. Contact my office to schedule a consultation and let’s get started on your individual plan to fight periodontal disease.
Dr. Nishan Halim
Source: Dental Herb Company, original blog published February 13, 2013.