Three Popular Ways to Restore Your Teeth
No one wants to have a cavity. Only a few avoid them completely. Even those who follow all the recommendations for dental hygiene can be susceptible. Cavities are one of the primary reasons for dental visits, particularly when they signal loudly and painfully as a toothache. Once decay forms, the tooth structure has to be restored with some type of filling.
If you are concerned about esthetics – want to have fillings that are cosmetically appealing – here are three options available for tooth-colored restorations:
If the cavity left by the removed decay isn’t too large, a tooth-colored composite resin may be the best option. Composite fillings are suitable when:
- The cavity is visible when you’re talking or smiling
- You want to keep cost and treatment time to a minimum
- You want to keep as much of your existing tooth as possible
The inlay is recommended for restoring large cavities. The composite resin inlay is not as long lasting as gold or porcelain but is an esthetic and less expensive option. Compared to the composite filling, the inlay:
- Takes more time and money
- Is more resistant to wear and staining
- Lasts longer
A crown is a long-lasting treatment in which the tooth structure is reduced and covered with a custom-made restoration. Crowns can produce near-perfect esthetic results. Dental crowns may be the best option if you:
- Have extensive decay following the removal of a large filling
- Want the most long-lasting result possible
- Can undergo more extensive treatment and incur higher costs than the other two options.
Making Your Restorations Last
Nothing lasts forever, not even dental restorations. But there are things you can do to avoid some of the everyday wear:
- Avoid foods that might damage the bond such as sticky candy and carbohydrates
- Don’t clench or grind your teeth
- Wear a nightguard if grinding is a problem
The type of filling you and your dentist choose will depend on many factors, including the location of the tooth, the severity of the decay, and your preferences for the cost and time required for treatment. Let your dentist advise you on the best options for your situation.
Remember, beautiful teeth are healthy teeth!
Dr. Nishan Halim
Nishan Halim, DMD specializes in adult and pediatric restorative and cosmetic dentistry, as well as preventive dentistry, which is at the heart of this Capitol Hill, Washington DC neighborhood dental center. Contact Dr. Halim to schedule an appointment.